Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Three Star Day

According to the newspaper horoscope, today is a three star day for me. Better than a no star day, not as good as a five star day, certainly not as good as a day at the beach. So it goes.

Working and worrying, per usual. Agents to contact, so query letters to write, formats to consider, manners to mind. But I'm not afraid, the great and powerful OHJEEZ-you-want-what is behind the screens, hidden from view. That's not really true. When a writer writes, she is present in her work, no matter how she hides. A conundrum.

Been reading blogs from the San Francisco Writers U. Reading is good, learning is good, SFWU is good and the blogs at the site are fabulous, entertaining and informational. I've learned there are many brilliant, sensitive writers who have yet to be published. I also have learned that a writer may need a developing editor for assistance in shaping the story after the initial draft, another editor for finish work on the work, a website designer and a personal assistant before considering an agent. Thus, writing isn't an isolated act but one with the potential to employ at least six people. Hooray for small business USA.

I didn't realize being a writer was an entrepreneurial enterprise that provides income to many. Now that I know, the idea appeals to my inner caregiver. That is a good thing, providing incentive to me on those days when I would rather sit on my chaise and sip tea.

All kidding aside, I do see that having a trusted support team would be helpful. There is the creative writing that I alone can do and then there's what a friend of mine called administrative trivia. Not that administrative work is trivial; it's essential and it involves the sort of skills and talents I haven't developed, despite a year of law school and a term as a law clerk. My skill and happiness is writing.

Ah, a three star day for sure. Me to my chaise lounge with tea. I can do that now, as I don't yet have a team to support.

No comments:

Post a Comment